Nittany Shotokan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10/11/2016 training notes

Go down

10/11/2016 training notes Empty 10/11/2016 training notes

Post by Baihua Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Senpai Horst's great instructions during today's training, feel compelled to write them down. please correct if I expressed them wrong:

-center mass directs the movement of the rest of the body.

-in zenkutsu dachi, the front foot must be inwardly positioned. at the very least, outside of the foot should be in parallel with the forward direction. this structure provides connection.

-in zenkutsu dachi moving forward, move the front knee toward the center line, lift the center mass with an upward feeling. this is how the power is generated.

-in zenkutsu dachi moving backward, a very simple way to check if the weight shifting is complete before I moved my front leg is that, my back heel shouldn't be lifted up. because lifting that up during the transition is a signal of imbalance, imbalance is a result of having weight on my front leg.

-if there is still a portion of body weight on one foot, then moving that foot is not very energy efficient---it's working against your own body. therefore, you should always complete 100% weight shifting, then initiate lower body movement.

-in kokutsu dachi, the center mass movement stops at the end of weight shifting. don't go forward, then go backward to correct myself.

-in any transition or turning, upper body should always come before legs. legs catch my upper body, but upper body guides legs. or rather, center mass guides legs.

-focus on the initiation of the movement, like you would focus on pulling the trigger of a gun, or pulling to the full stretch of an arrow. this is the part of contraction. contraction is storing up energy within my body. the extraction part would then be very natural. if focus on the end part, then the stored energy would not be fully utilized. (think about the experiment with hands over my face)

-the point of dojo kun is very simple: be a good person. don't be a dick, inside and outside of the dojo.

-in one step sparring, must have angular movement. my body should be completely shifted out of the line of my opponent. my counterattack should be free, innovative, and can always use kicks.

-in kicks, don't ever think about foot. think about center mass, then think about knee. because center mass determines knee, knee determines foot. if focus on the foot, then center mass and knee can never be in the right movement.

-balance is the key in movement.

-in sparring, try to use my opponent's energy to help my movement.

-timing, distance, kihon ---- three essence of three-step sparring.

-the essence of any Uge technique is receiving the opponent's attack. it's not about banging his arm with my arm as strong as I could. in fact, do not care about his/her arm at all, because once I know how to receive the attack, I don't even need to block at all. the blocking technique is an accessory to the receiving, which is really done by the moving and turning of my body.

-when turning to half-facing, zenkutsu dachi, feel the drop of the backward hip, and the bending of the back leg. this would be the correct feeling.

-do every step correctly. going fast is just a very natural and unconscious way of covering up for my mistakes. repetition makes permanence, not perfection.

-in kokutsu dachi going backward, think about using my drawing hand to "push" my upper body.

-in kicks, my hip directs the movement of my legs. Mae geri should be a continuous movement going hip->knee->foot, at the same time as I move my weight forward. side snap kick is initiated by the upward tilting of my hip, if I don't feel that tilt, my kick is wrong. side thrust kick has the same hip movement as snap kick, the only difference is that the knee doesn't go through an arc here.

-always welcomed to ask him questions about karate.

I feel very fortunate. Excelsior!

Baihua

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum